Tuesday, November 8, 2016

COPPERSTATE FLY IN AND EDUCATIONAL SYMPOSIUM

Copperstate held their fly in October 28 and 29 this year. It was a big move for them leaving a non towered field 60 miles south of Phoenix and moving to Mesa Falcon Field (FFZ), the 4th busiest GA airport in the country. I have not been able to obtain attendance figures and was there early on a Friday morning, so I do not know if this move worked out for them. There were about 200 people there when I was. The temperatures were very hot for the end of October reaching 86 degrees at 10AM.

Being so close to home I decided to drive. There was ample parking and plenty of airplane parking available right next to the show. You enter a large hangar to get in where several rows of vendors were with their displays. I had a great time talking with Tod Dickey who is president of the Arizona Sea Planes Pilots Association. Most vendors there were geared to the experimental market. This show is mostly about older airplanes and experimental airplanes. After walking the aisles and talking to several acquaintances I left the hangar to go to the ramp.



There were several tents set up for educational seminars. Two that caught my eye were on working with sheet metal and fiberglass. In addition educational classes were held throughout the 2 days.



Then I went to the ramp where the static display was. Being a glider pilot also the first thing that caught my eye was the Stemme Motor Glider.



War Birds were also displayed.


The show is all about tail draggers.







One of the neatest planes there was the Techam twin which drew large crowds.


All in all I think everyone had a great time in a relaxed atmosphere. I am hoping that the show was a success as I look forward to returning next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment