Monday, October 3, 2016

FAA ADS-B REBATE PROGRAM TURNING OUT TO BE A DISASTER

FAA ADS-B REBATE PROGRAM
TURNING OUT TO BE A DISASTER


The FAA started an incentive rebate program for any single engine piston registered airplane to receive $500 for installing ADS-B OUT after September 19, 2016. This program will last for one year or twenty thousand reservations, whichever ever comes first. 

The first step of the program is to go to the FAA web site for the rebate and apply for a Rebate Reservation Code. This was accomplished, and I received my Code. 

The second step is to have the equipment installed. I did this on September 26 and picked up the plane September 28.

The third step is to fly the airplane for thirty minutes with at least ten minutes maneuvering flight. This is where the first problem occurred. The FAA did not make things clear that in order to pass the flight test, I had to fly in either Class A, B, C airspace for thirty minutes or in certain Classe E airspace above ten thousand feet and two thousand five hundred feet above the ground. Nowhere in the adaptation of this program was this clearly spelled out. It was buried in an FAA circular 91.25. Not only did I fail the air test for not being in the above airspace but I also failed the ground test. My airplane was shown as air-born while taxing to the runway. Please note the ground test is not needed to be compliant in 2020, just to receive the $500 rebate.

After the flight is over, you have to wait one hour to submit your flight on the FAA Web Site. Having failed all aspects of the test I contacted the FAA ASD-B help line, and that is when I learned what airspace I have to fly in. I was also told I might be taxing over 15 knots which was why I failed. As an aside I have a friend who flew me to Prescott to pick up my airplane. He has 2 ADS B OUT units in his plane, Garmin 1090 and FreeFlight 978. He does not qualify for the rebate as these were installed before September 19. He also failed the ground test, and has failed it each time he has asked for a report. Either the equipment manufactures have a problem or the FAA does with it’s testing parameters. 

On October 1 I flew up to Prescott for the AOPA fly in. I left early to fly in the Phoenix Class Bravo to qualify for the rebate. To my amazement I failed the ground test again with it showing to the FAA I was air-born from start up to taxi to takeoff. I did pass the flight part of the test which is all I need to do to be ADS B OUT compliant for 2020 rule. However this does not get me my rebate. 

During this time I have been in contact with Arizona Air-Craftsman (installer), Apperao (manufacturer) and the FAA. I have exchanged emails and phone calls to no avail. The amount of time and money for fuel are not making the rebate worth the hassle. I notified installer and manufacture that I am charging back $500 to installer on my credit card as I can not spend anymore time or money on this issue.

I do not know why the FAA could not have done a better job in identifying airspace that airplanes have to fly in for the rebate. It has never been explained clearly in the rebate process. I also do not know why the FAA requires a taxi test as this has nothing to do to satisfy the 2020 mandate. As of this date I do not know anyone who has passed the taxi test. My only recourse is to let the installer and manufacture hassle this out with the FAA.

My advice is to let you know it is not worth installing ADS B OUT at this time if you can not obtain the rebate.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in San Diego (did all the right airspace entries) installed Garmin's newest GTX 345 and GTN 750 (near $25k total) and yes my report also showed they failed. Seems crazy. As you mention - - not worth the hassle. It's a sham. They lure you in to toss you a bone - - and they keep bone. Must be an Okla. trick.

    ReplyDelete