Monday, October 3, 2016

AOPA REGIONAL FLY IN....PRESCOTT, ARIZONA (PRC)

I have had the privilege of attending two AOPA Regional fly in's,  last year in Colorado Springs, CO. (COS) and this past Saturday PRC. I was told by AOPA that PRC broke all attendance records with over 6,300 people in the house.

The weather at PRC had been horrible all week. Our summer monsoon is usually over around early September, but it decided to reappear this past week. Thankful it cleared off day of the event, and it poured again the day after.

AOPA , working in conjunction with PRC and TRACON, produced a 13 page NOTAM that explained everything in the world for how to fly to PRC from any direction for the fly in. Graphics with waypoints and Lat/Long were included. AOPA even produced a video showing how to fly in from the north and the south. A pilot could not have had better information. Unfortunately you always have a few that did not bother to read or study the NOTAM.

Leaving SDL, which is south of PRC, I had to climb to 8,500 feet. The clouds were making this difficult as the base was 9,000 feet. The NOTAM said to contact ATC and they would give flight following and provide a squak code. I had just installed Appareo Stratus ESGi ADS B In and Out, so I was able to see all my traffic enroute.  I was very fortunate to be between two groups of airplanes. No one ever came close to me. The only problem I had enroute were those who never read the NOTAM and flew direct PRC without talking to ATC. When these planes contacted PRC tower they were told to leave the airspace and contact ATC for further instructions.

PRC runway 21 was in use, and I followed the NOTAM. PRC has parallel runways, and I was instructed to cross the airfield for right traffic landing 21R. There was no one in front of me and I was cleared to land being told to taxi to the end of the runway upon landing and turn left. Ground instructed me to turn right and follow the marshals. I could not have asked for a better job from Phoenix TRACON and PRC tower and ground controllers. They were all true professionals. After parking and securing the airplane I walked the short distance to the event area. AOPA stated that 563 planes flew in for the event. I do not know if weather dissuaded some from flying. PRC is an 1 3/4 hour drive from SDL and it looks like many decided to make the drive from the Phoenix area.

I lived in Prescott hearing Juvenile Court Cases for 4 years for Yavapai County. Knowing the weather well there, I decided to wear shorts and a polo shirt with a wide brim hat. At 5,200 feet the temperatures can be in the 60's to 70's and with the sun coming out very hot. I also had to fly back to SDL after the event which was in the 90"s. Walking up to the event area about 1 hour before opening, I was able to determine the layout of where all the activities were held.

I am an airport support network volunteer (ASN) for AOPA representing SDL Airport, and a breakfast meeting was scheduled for 8-9 AM. This was my only disappointment of the day, as I had expected a meeting like was held in COS last year. Marker Baker, CEO AOPA, and others had a prepared program with just the ASN's. Sorry this did not happen this year.

After breakfast I went to the Vendor Hangar. There were four rows of vendors and vendors on each side of every row. It was crowded when I was there, and I assume it was crowded all day.





I was surprised at the quality of the vendors. No massage chairs and mops for sale this year. All the vendors were aviation related. I can not remember everyone. Bose, Garmin, Avidyne, Aspen, Stratus and ForeFlight are a few that come to mind.

After I walked the vendor area twice to make sure I did not miss anything. I walked through the pavilion of airplanes. Below are a few pictures.

GREAT LAKES

Static Display






The above 3 photos of Children
painting this plane


One of my favorite...
Beech Stagger Wing


In addition to the static display and vendors, 3 to 4 educational seminars each hour were scheduled in the morning and afternoon. There were also aerobatic demonstrations.

My favorite part of coming to these events are seeing the people I know and meeting new friends. I considered myself fortunate to spend time with Melissa McCaffrey, AOPA Western Regional Representative. The last time we were together Melissa was 8 months pregnant. Now the proud Mom of a beautiful boy!

Had a chance to chat with Tom Haines and Melissa Rudinger who produce and anchor AOPA Live.

Then of course I ran into good friend of many years Rod Machado. We had a great conversation. Rod is one of the best teachers I have been around. He uses humor to get his point across and his speeches stay with me.

The other part of this formula was meeting Readers of this Blog, Twitter and Facebook friends for the first time in person. I never know what to expect. Met Brian Bond who I never knew worked for TRACON. Neat guy. It was like that all  morning for me.

Due to some obligations I had to leave the event early, but I was really glad I made to effort to be there.

AOPA reduced the Regional Fly In's to four this year, and it looks as though they will only have four next year. I am hoping another will be in my area of the Country as I look forward to attending somewhere next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment