Thursday, March 21, 2013


This column is different than what I usually write about concerning aviation. But the topic came up and I had some fun discussions.

If you’ve ever woken up with a woman next to you in bed, and she asks what day it is, chances are she’s a flight attendant (FA). If she asks you what city she’s in then you can pretty much figure that the relationship is over. 

A positive of dating a FA is that you can pretty much figure they are drug free. Fa’s are required to take random drug tests after flights. The biggest downside of dating an FA is that they will most likely not be there when you need them.

I dated a senior FA for five years. She flew PHX-JFK turns. When she came home it was better not to talk to her, and just let her shower and go to bed. She became a human again the next morning.

We dated before 9-11 when there were numerous seats to travel nonrev. Want to go to Alaska or Paris, just hop on a flight. Today I wouldn’t try nonreving to Paris,Texas. Planes are full and passengers are honrey. 

FA’s must have the worst union reps of any business I know of. FA’s are required to report 1 hour before departure. Their pay doesn’t start until the door is closed and pushback. If the flight is delayed it’s at the FA’s expense.

An FA’s life style is different from anything I know of. I thought I was open minded, but when I attended FA parties it was my first time being exposed to the gay lifestyle. It took a while for the shock to wear off. I was always treated with respect by all and tried to return that feeling.

I met my FA girlfriend (ex) at a flight school a friend of mine owns. She was studying to become a pilot. Didn’t know she was a FA until I called her for a date. If you have to be on a schedule then dating a FA is probably not for you. You’ll never know when they are going to be home or working. I went to many black tie events and award dinners alone. 

People have asked me how to get a date with a FA. I asked several friends of mine that still fly that question, and the best response was to discreetly hand the FA your business card with a note on it. If she’s interested, she will call you. Surprisingly a lot of FA’s stated that they hand out their cards to passengers they would like to date. Out of the question is following an FA to their hotel, can you say stalking, or bothering them when they are leaving to their hotel with their crew.

I had some wonderful times when dating an FA. The problem was that I could never depend on her because of her job schedule. You have to decide if this lifestyle will be good for you.

This was written from a man’s perspective and can be flipped easily.


No comments:

Post a Comment