Tuesday, March 24, 2015

AVIATION MECHANCIS

I really have great respect for someone who can turn a wrench and keep my airplane flying safely. There are basically two choices when performing an annual or airplane repairs, one to use a shop or two use an independent mechanic.

For years I have chosen the second route on all but one annual. I was between mechanics and had to use the shop of a large FBO for my annual. I appreciate the fact that FBO's have brick and mortar buildings to pay for, which leads to greater overhead. Also most FBO's are required to obtain a larger liability insurance policy than the local mechanic.

My experience turned out to not be the best. At FBO's non rated mechanics can work on an airplane under the final inspection of on IA. You might have one mechanic working on your plane in the morning and another in the afternoon. If you go back next year for an annual, chances are these mechanics will be long gone. It is extremely difficult to develop a relationship with a mechanic at a FBO who knows your airplane inside and out.
When I went to pick up my airplane it had a broken window, grease on the carpets and they shorted out my intercom. The final price was exorbitant for a plane of my size. Needless to say I never used this national FBO shop again. What they do not understand is that aviation is a small community and word gets around quickly.
I have talked to others that have used national FBO's and the story is the same. Charged triple for what the services should have been.  On the positive side I have found many satisfied customers of small FBO's at smaller airports. Labor seems to be more constant at these shops.

Independent mechanics do not have the overhead that FBO's have. Their insurance requirements are less, and they usually work out of a trailer behind their pickup truck. I have found these people to be more reasonable in their rates, but also to be Prima Dona's. The mechanical ability is great, but they make lousy businessmen. I am not real happy when someone raises their rates 33% and does not tell me until they present the bill. My attitude is if you did not have the courtesy to inform me before the work was done, I am not paying your new rate.

Aviation being a small community, word gets around the field real quick about these scrupulous practices. Then the mechanic can not figure out why no one is using him, and he usually disappears.

After evaluating my choices I have decided to use a small shop this year. They have been on the field for a long time and have a good reputation. There are 2 others like this I could use but would involve dropping my plane off and having a friend fly me back. I like being able to check into the work, especially if there are problems.

No way will I ever use a major FBO again, and I have lost faith in the independent mechanics I know of. This is not to say that all independents are bad, but they leave a bad taste in people's mouths for starting the regime all over again. They are rocket scientists with a wrench...just no brains for business. Do not try to charge me more for your services than a FBO does. Not going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment