Tuesday, November 5, 2013

MID AIR...ADS B...AIRLINE TRAVEL

DIFFERENT KIND OF FLYING
NEW AIRLINE PILOT RULE JUST WRONG
ADS-B TRAFFIC COULD HAVE PREVENTED MID AIR IN WISCONSIN

Starting 4 years ago my wife and I decided to make 1 overseas trip each fall. So each year I get to judge the airlines performance based on our trip. So far we have flown British Airways (F), Iberia (A), United (C), US Airways (A) and Delta (F). BA was given an F in all categories from equipment to personnel and the worst customer service I have ever seen. Iberia, which is partly owned by BA, had good equipment and great personnel. United had older equipment. Some flights their personnel was great and some just cold. US Airways was the surprise of our trips. I usually wind up on Boeing aircraft but was impressed by the Airbus. The seats were wider and more comfortable than Boeing, and I really liked the Airbus 340 we flew from Philadelphia to Rome. US Air planes were also clean, and there was no trash in the aisles. I have always had an affinity for Delta Airlines. I grew up next door to one of the founders and 3rd chairman of Delta. He took me on my first private flight and taught me how to fly when I was a young teenager. If he saw how Delta was run today he would be spinning in his grave. We flew on a 767 from Venice to JFK and a 737 from JFK to PHX. Neither of the planes had any support in the seat or seat back. Trash covered the aisles, and Flight Attendants had the personalities of Zombies. Even with the extra $100 per person per flight we paid for extra leg room on Delta, the Airbus coach seats had more room and comfort.

An amazing thing happened to us at the airport. We were given status that we did not have to take off our shoes, take out our quart baggies and IPad's. I don’t know why we were qualified for this line, but it made things a lot easier going through security. Coming home from JFK on Delta we were told that my wife was approved but I was not for this expedited service. My wife was sent to another line, and I went with her and we zipped through security without going through the dog and pony show. This just goes to show that the TSA still has no idea what it is doing.

One good thing about traveling on the airlines is each time I get a bug about selling my airplane, after I get off an airline flight that bug has disappeared!

THE new rule for all pilots of American carriers is a requirement of 1500 hours for the Captain and FO. This rule is just crazy! I do not want someone flying me who was a CFI flying in circles to earn 1500 hours. This is not real world flying. I still believe the best option is to require X number of hours in a simulator going over a different number of situations that basic flight knowledge can be acquired from. In addition at least 250 cross country actual hours under IFR flight plans should be required. Icing, stalls and equipment failures can be repeated in the simulator until this becomes second nature for a pilot to recover from without the worry of crashing.

THERE was a mid air in Wisconsin this week between 2 jump planes. Thankfully everyone escaped with their life without death or injuries. This could have been prevented if the FAA would turn on ADS-B traffic for all. I blame the FAA,  the Alphabets and Congress for not demanding this. With a simple IPad and ADS B along with an aviation app in the cockpit this near tragedy could have been prevented. 


The 4 souls who lost their lives in NE Phoenix were not as lucky. It would take an airliner and general aviation mid air for the FAA to get off their behind and change this. The technology is there, but the FAA states they will not turn on this service wanting pilots to buy ADS-B IN and Out units before 2020.

1 comment: