Thursday, July 25, 2013

What good are elected officials...unless you give them money

COULD THE FAA
US SENATORS AND CONGRESSMEN 
BE IMPLICATED IN MURDER IF THERE IS A MID AIR COLLISION

This is an interesting hypothetical situation. On June 24 I wrote a column on Jeff Dunham’s character Achmed the Dead Terrorist and the FAA, stating they are both bumbling idiots. Now I feel my 2 Senators and Congressman can be added to that group.

I emailed a copy of my blog a month ago to my Senators and Congressman with a cover note asking them to have ADS B OUT turned on 24/7 so that anyone flying with an IPad, Aviation APP and ADS B IN could see traffic on their IPad. I also wrote that the FAA refuses to turn on ADS B OUT because the FAA wants pilots to buy ADS B OUT units before the required date of 2020. Even the airlines have not bought into this.

May 31st there was a mid air involving 2 different flight schools in the practice area approximately 15 miles NW of Phoenix Deer Valley Airport (DVT) and 4 people died. We have the technology for approximately $1000 per airplane that could have prevented this horrible accident, if the FAA would just turn on ADS B OUT so that traffic may be seen by all. It is very obvious that the FAA does not believe in safety.

As of this date I have yet to receive a reply from my Senators and Congressman. I doubt that any jurisdiction would ever file criminal charges against these people if another mid air occurred, because they have been notified they could have stopped a tragedy. However it would be very interesting if a civil suit was brought against those above named if there was another mid air.

It is a shame that no one who reviewed my correspondence found it worthy of following up on. I guess for this to happen a campaign contribution would have to be enclosed.

While on the topic of safety, it is time the FAA allow older airplanes that are not experimental to fly with non TSO’d equipment. Autopilots are one of the safest items that can be installed in an airplane. A TSO’d autopilot could cost $20,000 and up. A non TSO’d autopilot could cost less than $5,000. Considering that the fleet of GA aircraft are 40 years old on average, it is hard to justify placing avionics in the plane that could cost 50% of the value of the plane or more. 


I must also state that I am very disappointed that AOPA, who donates money to candidates through their PAC, is not pushing this issue either. I would think they would have the elected officials ears that they donate money to.

No comments:

Post a Comment