Saturday, June 8, 2013

UPDATE ON AVIATION APPS FOR THE IPAD

IPAD AVIATION APPS
A
2 HORSE RACE

It has been a while since I have written about Aviation Apps for the IPad, and things have changed but become the same. There are still only 2 serious contenders to consider when purchasing an Aviation App for the IPad, ForeFlight and WingXPro. The rest are still playing catch up and are overpriced. One downside of ForeFlight is that it only works with the Stratus ADS-B In unit, whereas WingX works with several different ADS-B In manufactures. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the Stratus unit.

Before I write further about the Apps just a little sideline. ADS-B Out will be required by the FAA in 2020. As a carrot the FAA stated that they will offer free weather for ADS-B IN, albeit limited in features compared to XM weather, where ADS-B is available. The purpose of this offer was to get more planes equipped with ADS-B before 2020. This announcement was pre IPad. Little did the FAA ever think that so many pilots were going to take advantage of the IPad, Aviation Apps and portable ADS-B In without having to buy a very expensive ADS-B In and Out panel unit. 
When the FAA was asked to turn on ADS-B Out 24/7 so pilots with ADS-B In could see traffic, the FAA told all the alphabets to take a hike. They said if you want to see traffic buy an ADS-B Out unit now. I do not recommend that as prices have fallen and will continue to fall on Out units before 2020.

AS I HAVE SAID MANY TIMES THE FAA DOES NOT BELIEVE IN SAFETY AND SAVING LIVES!

Now back to the Apps. ForeFlight (FF) came out of the gate a strong product. It was light years ahead of WingX (WX). Approximately 9 months later WX passed FF and left FF far behind. It took about 2 years for FF to catch up and incorporate most of the features that WX has. The biggest difference between the 2 was that when FF came out with an update, it worked. You never know what you are going to get with WX.

There are 2 features on WX that are important to me that FF does not have at this time. In the top left hand corner there is a box that tells you what ground level altitude is, and you can cycle this button to tell you how far above the ground you are. The 2nd feature I like is split screen. I can have the ATIS up along with the taxi diagram. On an approach I can have the lo enroute chart up with the approach plate. When the plane icon shows up on the approach plate I go back to single screen.

FF has the ability to show actual winds and temps aloft. I have requested this from WX on several occasions without any success.

People ask me which app to buy. I tell them that if they are flying with the IPad Mini to buy FF. Split screens are too small on the Mini. On the big IPad, if they are VFR only there isn’t much difference. If you are IFR I would rather fly with WX and have the split screen.

I do not think you can go wrong with either of these apps. I would not waste my money on any other apps as these 2 are proven and do a great job. Apps are not a cure all, and I still use my Garmin 396 for features that no apps have yet. I believe that the IPad, Apps and ADS-B are the greatest invention for flying since the introduction of GPS.

Traffic on the IPad with WX. Someone in the vicinity was flying with ADS B Out so I could see traffic. This is what the FAA won't turn on 24/7.


1 comment:

  1. iPad is one of the most popular mobile devices used by the business world.iPad development is great piece of technology with several serious limitations for business use which are highlighted at the end of this article. The most noticeable of these is that you can't edit office documents like excel or word without buying separate apps that don't talk to each other.

    ReplyDelete