Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Still trying to find a new airplane


                                                     TRYING TO BUY A PLANE
                                                                   PART DEUX


Flying an older plane has it’s downfalls. Maintenance comes to a point whether or not it is worth keeping it. As my plane sits in Las Vegas and the propeller is in Oklahoma City, I ponder selling the airplane and buying another. You read in one of my recent columns about the alleged crook in CA that was advertising Luscombe's. Turns out I found another flake.

I started looking at Controller.com and some other sites to see if there would be anything I would be interested in. A Vans RV 9A caught my attention. I called a friend of mind that is just finishing building a Vans RV 7A. I asked him what the difference in the 2 planes are, basically the 9 is for cruising being more stable than the 7. 

I found a beautiful 9A advertised in Mesa, AZ. My wife and I decided to buy the plane if all panned out. My friend told me what to look for in the build and gave me some questions to ask. If that worked out and I enjoyed flying it, my friend would then go do a further inspection on the build. If all was acceptable to that point I would make an offer and have my mechanic do a pre buy annual inspection.

I called the number in the ad who turned out to be a broker living in Mesa, AZ. I tried to make an appointment to see and fly it. The broker told me he does not keep any planes here as he has had no luck selling them in AZ. I asked where the plane was, and he told me Long Beach, CA. That did not help my plans any. I asked him to fly the plane here, and that I am a cash buyer. He had no interest.

It is evident to me the broker was not going to go out of his way for his client. I am surely not going to Long Beach to check out a home built airplane without any expertise with me. One lost sale for the broker, and I’ll keep looking for something else.

To be continued??????

No comments:

Post a Comment