Wednesday, September 29, 2010

FRIENDS...YOU CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON THEM

We had a very unfortunate situation occur Monday at Phoenix Deer Valley Airport (DVT). A Bonanza suffered engine problems and the plane crashed into an empty building and the lone occupant, the pilot from Scottsdale, was killed. I was unaware of this as my wife and I were taking off from San Diego back to DVT at the time. When I fly, I turn my phone to Airplane Mode as to not drain the battery. It was 105 degrees when we landed, fueled the airplane and put it back in the hangar. I was hot and tired and did not turn on my cell phone until we arrived back at the house. When my phone connected, I had 30 emails and text messages along with 40 voice mails from friends concerned that it might have been my plane that crashed. I felt horrible for the pilot that crashed and thankful to have to many friends that were concerned for my well being. My thoughts and prayers go out to the pilot's family.

FAA

I had the pleasure of attending a FAA meeting for Scottsdale (SDL) airport Tuesday. I can't publish the topic of the meeting as it is confidential at this time. There were FAA representatives from Seattle to Los Angeles to Phoenix, as well as NBAA representatives and my self representing AOPA. Everyone was there but the man who was responsible for this event. Evidently he did not deem it necessary to attend his own meeting. I did receive an excellent education of the issues and was surprised that there is so much conflict among different factions of the FAA. I also felt cheated that the ADO did not attend the meeting. When this issue is complete and public knowledge I will publish a column on the issues.

1 comment: